Kevin Costner is a Hollywood legend, and for a good reason. He has starred in some of the most iconic movies of all time. This blog post will examine his movie career and explore some of his most famous films. From “The Untouchables” to “Dances with Wolves,” Costner has proven that he is one of the best actors in Hollywood. We will also look at his upcoming projects and see what the future holds for this talented actor.
- The Untouchables (1987): Kevin Costner stars as federal agent Eliot Ness, who forms a team of “untouchable” agents to take on notorious gangster Al Capone and his mob. This classic crime drama is based on the real events of the 1930s and was nominated for four Academy Awards, including Best Picture. Kevin’s performance earned him a nomination for Best Supporting Actor.
- Dances with Wolves (1990): Kevin Costner stars as Lt. John Dunbar, a Civil War veteran who chooses to be stationed in the wild West. He soon discovers he has an affinity for Native American culture and learns the ways of the Sioux tribe during his time there. The movie is a sweeping epic nominated for 12 Academy Awards and won seven, including Best Picture and Best Director (Costner).
- Field of Dreams (1989): Kevin Costner plays Ray Kinsella, an Iowa farmer who hears voices telling him to build a baseball field in his cornfield. Ray follows the vague instructions, despite resistance from his wife Annie and daughter Karin (played by Amy Madigan). This classic film follows them as they discover the power of family, dreams, and a little magic.
- Bull Durham (1988): Kevin Costner stars as Crash Davis, an aging minor league catcher who is sent to teach the young phenom pitcher Ebby Calvin “Nuke” LaLoosh (Tim Robbins) how to play in the big leagues. The movie also stars Susan Sarandon in one of her most iconic roles as Annie Savoy, a passionate baseball fan who falls for both men.
- Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (1991): Kevin Costner plays Robin Hood in this classic adventure film set during the Crusades. He teams up with Azeem (Morgan Freeman) and Maid Marian (Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio) to fight the oppressive Sheriff of Nottingham, played by the late Alan Rickman.
- The Bodyguard (1992): Kevin Costner and Whitney Houston star in this romantic drama about a former Secret Service agent hired to protect a high-profile singer against her stalker. This film earned Houston an Oscar nomination for Best Actress and spawned one of the most iconic songs ever: “I Will Always Love You.”
- JFK (1991): Kevin Costner stars as District Attorney Jim Garrison in this biographical political thriller directed by Oliver Stone. He investigates the assassination of President John F. Kennedy and discovers evidence that suggests there was a conspiracy behind it. The movie was nominated for eight Academy Awards and won two, including Best Cinematography.
- Tin Cup (1996): Kevin Costner stars as Roy ‘Tin Cup’ McAvoy, a former golf prodigy who has hit rock bottom and is trying to come back at the US Open. This romantic comedy also stars Rene Russo as his unlikely love interest, Dr. Molly Griswold.
- Waterworld (1995): Kevin Costner stars in this post-apocalyptic science fiction film set in a future where most of the Earth is covered by water. Kevin plays The Mariner, a mysterious drifter with gills who helps protect an enclave of humans from an evil force known as the Smokers.
- The Postman (1997): Kevin Costner stars as the title character in this post-apocalyptic western film. He plays a drifter who stumbles upon an abandoned mail truck and begins delivering mail to survivors in a desolate wasteland. This movie was nominated for three Academy Awards, including Best Original Score.
- Open Range (2003): Kevin Costner stars as Charley Waite, a former gunslinger who is trying to live peacefully on an isolated ranch with his friends Button (Robert Duvall) and Mose (Annette Bening). But when they discover their land is threatened by ruthless rancher Denton Baxter (Michael Gambon), they must fight for their freedom.
- Swing Vote (2008): Kevin Costner stars as Bud Johnson, an apathetic single father whose vote will decide the outcome of a close national presidential election. The movie follows his journey as he realizes his one vote can change the world. Kevin’s performance in this underrated comedy was praised by critics and earned him a nomination for Best Actor at the Golden Globes.
- Draft Day (2014): Kevin Costner stars as Sonny Weaver Jr., the Cleveland Browns football team general manager trying to make a big trade on draft day that could save his job. He must navigate politics, pressure from ownership and fans, and surprise developments as he attempts to build a winning team.
- Black or White (2014): Kevin Costner stars as Elliot Anderson, a lawyer trying to help his bi-racial granddaughter navigate the complex juvenile justice system. In a racially charged trial, he teams up with his ex-wife Rowena (Octavia Spencer) to prove his granddaughter’s innocence.
- Criminal (2016): Kevin Costner stars as Jericho Stewart, a dangerous criminal whose brain is implanted with the memories of an FBI agent to complete a top-secret mission. The movie also stars Gary Oldman, Tommy Lee Jones, and Gal Gadot in supporting roles.
- Molly’s Game (2017): Kevin Costner stars as Molly Bloom’s father in this biographical drama based on the true story of the world-famous poker game host. He is supportive as Molly (Jessica Chastain) attempts to defend herself against illegal gambling and racketeering charges.
- The Highwaymen (2019): Kevin Costner stars as former Texas Ranger Frank Hamer in this crime drama about two retired lawmen hired to hunt down notorious outlaws Bonnie and Clyde. This movie also starred Woody Harrelson as his partner Maney Gault and was praised for its gritty action sequences and intense performances.
- Let Him Go (2020): Kevin Costner stars alongside Diane Lane in this neo-Western thriller about a retired sheriff and his wife traveling to Montana for their missing grandson. Critics praised Kevin and Diane’s performances, and the movie was a box-office success upon its release.
From Postman to Let Him Go, Kevin Costner has starred in many films throughout his illustrious career. His performances have earned him critical acclaim and numerous award nominations, cementing his place as one of Hollywood’s most beloved actors. Whether you prefer his dramatic roles or lighter fare like Swing Vote, Kevin Costner’s movies will surely entertain viewers of all ages.