To keep users engaged during the pandemic, subscription streaming services have been keeping their catalogs stocked with plenty of fresh, rotating content – from original, exclusive movies and TV shows, to children’s shows to entertain families staying indoors, to reality TV for those missing out on live-action. Read this report to find out which streaming service catalogs are leading the pack.
- HBO Max, Philo, and Amazon Prime Video added the most episodes and movies to their catalogs in Q1 2021.
- Netflix is still the one to beat in terms of volume of new original content.
- Discovery+ made a big splash — immediately ranking in the top ten for most content added this quarter, new original content, and the reality TV genre.
- Disney+ showed competitors how a streaming service can thrive with family-friendly content. Now the rest, and most notably Netflix and HBO Max, are rushing to follow suit.
- Sports fans are drawn to reality TV when they’re not watching the big game, and streaming services are taking notes. Reality TV shows available across all SVOD platforms this quarter increased by 92% year-over-year.
- Production company Paramount saw the most movies added to any U.S. SVOD service in Q1 2021, though less than a fifth of these films ended up in CBS All Access (now Paramount+). Meanwhile, a whopping 32% of Paramount movies added to SVODs this quarter found a home in Amazon Prime Video, including the hit sequel Coming 2 America, which enjoyed the fourth biggest opening weekend engagement shares of any movie that premiered on an SVOD platform this quarter.
Read the full report from Reelgood.
Reelgood’s video-on-demand (VOD) Catalog Insights product enables streaming services and studios to accelerate growth, drive content acquisition and development, and inform partnership decisions. All of this is driven by the industry’s most accurate and comprehensive TV show and movie streaming availability and metadata, which covers 180+ SVOD, AVOD, TVOD, and TV Everywhere services and includes 150K+ movies, 20K+ TV shows, 1.3M+ TV episodes. This report features data for the United States. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for data for the United Kingdom.