The video-on-demand (VOD) landscape has grown significantly in the United States as cord-cutting consumers have dropped cable and pay-TV packages in favor of streaming subscriptions. Furthermore, over the past year, several major new U.S. streaming services have launched, while macroeconomic factors have disrupted consumers’ streaming behavior and preferences. What do companies need to do now to capture the opportunity, stay competitive, and succeed?
Reelgood’s VOD Catalog Insights product enables streaming services and studios to accelerate growth, drive content acquisition and development, and inform partnership decisions – all driven by data from the industry’s most comprehensive and accurate TV show and movie availability and metadata.
- While Prime Video holds the title for the most movies and TV shows in its catalog overall, the story changes significantly once quality and pricing are considered — Netflix, Hulu, and HBO Max are catching up in terms of quality content available to stream for every dollar of their respective subscription costs.
- AVOD and TVOD platforms enjoyed the most growth in terms of content catalog this year, with growth in the AVOD sector mostly driven by Tubi TV, Vudu Free, and the launch of Peacock’s free tier.
- In a move that likely comes as no surprise, many of the major subscription streaming services are steadily increasing their catalog of original TV shows at the expense of licensed content.
- In an effort to retain and acquire new users, the leading SVOD platforms are working to maintain a high percentage of content in their libraries that cannot be found elsewhere.
- Feel-good family-friendly content has been the key to success during the pandemic.
- Straight-to-VOD movie premieres have more than tripled in Q4 year-over-year.
Click here to read the full report.
Reelgood provides availability data for movies and TV shows across 150+ SVOD, AVOD, TVOD, and TV Everywhere services. Its extensive catalog supports 150K+ movies, 20K+ TV shows, 1.3M+ TV episodes categorized with granular, normalized genres and tags. Numerous metadata fields include production company, network, and more. Reelgood’s VOD Catalog Insights product provides historical trends at a monthly, weekly, and daily granularity.